30 June 2011

our beloved alex...


Two weeks ago we lost our beloved dog Alex.  He has been by my side since I was seventeen years old.  Needless to say, I am heartbroken.  

I find comfort in thinking of all the good times we shared.  His first night at home with me, he was taken to the drive-in movie theater to see "My Dog Skip.  He watched the movie, I kid you not.  In highschool, I would rush home and take him to the park to teach him to swim in the creeks and chase the geese.  He was known to jump out of moving trucks to chase the deer.  He posed with me in my senior pictures.  As I went to college, I found myself home on Sundays to visit him.  Every holiday break, he would come stay at the house I rented in college to go see Santa at Petsmart.  I never had to house train him.  He just knew what to do. 

alex and ethan 2010
christmas time 2010

When David and I got married Alex moved in with us and went along the newly wed journey with us.  He immdiately loved our cat Moli.   Alex loved everyone.  He knew we were pregnant with Ethan before any other family member knew.  He sensed it acted out for month.  One of my favorite memories was taking him to Sandestin and watching him swim in the ocean and chase the waves.  David and I took him at 5 in the morning because it was illegal to have your dog on the beach there.  He swam in his fare share of pools too.  He made the House Organ Vanderbilt Pets Edition Magazine at Vanderbilt and was picked as one of the cutest dogs.  He wore a life jacket and would go out on Michaels boat and would smile the entire time.  He sat beside Michael as he passed from this world to another. 

alex the teenage years
maybe a year old or so

fall 2010
summer 2010
this past winter
this past winter

He took to Ethan and loved him.  We were so nervous bringing Ethan home from the hospital to meet Alex, but Alex acted as if he had been there the entire time.  As Ethan grew older he would pull his tail and lay on him. He would lay still as long as Ethan was comfortably rested on him when Ethan had a fever.  When he started walking, he would stay by Ethan's side if I were to step into another room as if to say "it's okay, I've got him."  Alex was happy just to be with the family...  


spring 2011
2007
2007 in Sandestin, FL

 summer 2010
life's a beach...especially when there is a tennis ball in it!

It has taken time for me get this post together.  At first I didn't want to post anything, but then I realized how many people ask about Alex all the time and letting everyone know via blog might be easier {especially in front of a toddler}.  Slowly my sadness is being replaced by gratefulness to have had such a wonderful friend all of these years.  It is amazing how much love a dog can give you.  

5 comments:

The Gannons said...

I lost my childhood dog, Marty, a mini-daschund, when I was a freshman in college. Loosing a loved pet is a real, heart-breaking pain. I'm so sorry to hear this about Alex. I know you loved him so much! I remember you talking about what a great dog he was.

These quotes from "Marley and Me" make me cry, but also bring comfort, too. I hope they comfort you and remind you of what a great dog Alex was!

"A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?"

"What I really wanted to say was how this animal had touched our souls and taught us some of the most important lessons of our lives. 'A person can learn a lot from a dog, even a loopy one like ours,' I wrote. Marley taught me about living each day with unbridled exuberance and joy, about seizing the moment and following your heart. He taught me to appreciate the simple things- a walk in the woods, a fresh snowfall, a nap in a shaft of winter sunlight. And as he grew old and achy, he taught me about optimism in the face of adversity. Mostly, he taught me about friendship and selflessness and, above all else, unwavering loyalty."

Denise Skelton said...

That was the sweetest post! Hope things are getting easier for you. The pictures are so sweet!

Kelly said...

Scarlett,
I feel your pain. I had to put my cat to sleep in 2007. I got him when I was in 2nd grade and he was 17 years old when he died. I'm really sorry for your loss :(
Kelly

Amber Johnson said...

i love this post....and i enjoyed looking at all the pics of alex. hope you are doing ok.

The Clinkscales Family said...

Oh my goodness...this breaks my heart. So happy you had him 17 years but so sad to hear of his passing. I've gone through this once and dread the day we go through it with Sadie. Nothing better than sweet goldens. Thinking of you!