25 November 2011

it's that time of year...

Cold and flu season that is!  It took me by surprise to say the least.  Ethan came home from school a happy boy and by 5 pm he was hot-hot-hot with a fever.  So take this nurse-mom's advice and do  yourself a favor and stock up ahead of time on a few things that make a miserable time easier...  Because you never expect your kiddo to be sick and when you do the last thing you wanna do is leave the house. 


I adore Boogie Wipes!  They are like a diper wipe moist with saline for your little one's nosie rosie.  Ethan likes the grape smell one.  I like it because they wipe the dried snot off the face and back of the toddler's hand.  They now come in big rolls like your clorox wipes. 



Always always have one bottle of Pedialyte in your pantry and the Pedialyte freezer pops in your freezer.  I can count on Ethan having a fever when he sick.  I was totally unprepared when Ethan's spiked, everyone's at work, and you are home with a sick boy who is snoozing. 

Thankfully, my friend Martha ran to walgreen and picked me up some freezer pops.  Remember, when you buy them they aren't frozen, so that is another reason why it is good to just keep in the freezer.  Ethan's temp would be 103 and I would stick him a tepid bath and give him a freezer pop to help cool him.  His fever's spike so quickly, I get nervous about febrile seizures which can happen. I love how the freezer pops hydrate the kiddos and cool at the same time.

 


Last winter I picked up this temporal scanner at Target and love it!  You can scan your kiddos head while sleeping to get a good reading without waking them up.  It does take a little practice because you have to scan above the eye and move to the temple.  If you don't scan correctly, the temp with be lower that it actually is.  Worth the $30 bucks! 

Also, I would stock up on the tylenol and motrin.  I go for the off brand dye free versions.   I have seen the brand names recalled to much lately and love the price of the off brands. 

Lastly, while shopping this holiday season, go ahead and pick up a $5 movie for your kiddo at Target.  Stash it away for a rainy or snowy sick day.  It is a nice little treat for them and possible a little relief for you! 

1 comments:

kcochrane said...

Wonderful advice. I need to do all of these things, a.s.a.p. I hope Ethan feels better very quickly!