06 April 2009

shopping whirlwind

I was recently told about this consignment sale at the notorious Oak Hill School. Oak Hill School is a private elementary school where all the Bellemeade kiddos go to school. I used to nanny for a family and remember many hours of waiting in the carpool line. The kids families donate clothes, toys, furniture, etc to the consignment sale in order to fund raise for the school. I was told there were adorable kids clothes, toys, diaper bags, etc. So I was so excited to go to the pre-sale with a buddy pass. Never mind, there were tornado warnings and torrential downpours occurring during my 2 hour window to shop! I was armed with a raincoat and my shopping basket...what could I loose? Since we had our last childbirth class at the hospital that night, so David dropped me off at the door and was going to wait in the car while I shopped. I started shopping hitting the 0-6 months baby boy clothing section first. Mission----anything smocked! Oh wait....that is my cell phone ringing...."What? It is hailing? No, there are no windows in here." Next thing I know David is inside telling me to hurry. Then the announcement...."please drop everything and go into the basement due to the weather." What....I have to drop everything I have gathered? So, David and I head in the basement with 200 frantic mothers and their children. Women + walkie talkies=crying kids. After we waited for the storm to pass, we were told we could return to the sale only to pick up the items we are already picked out and check out immediately. Okay, so my hopes of finding a cool diaper bag just washed away this this springs topsoil. Anyhow, my first consignment sale experience was a little bit of a whirlwind. But I did find baby boy a few cute outfits to hang out in his crib in! I think learning to smock may be worth the trouble!

1 comments:

Cheryl Taylor aka Nana said...

Funny story but I know at the time it wasn't funny; at least you all are safe. As we know, you cannot be too safe from this Tennessee weather! Ya' never know.