15 August 2009

birthday wishes....

doing what I do best.....playing in water!

Last week we celebrated Alex's 10th Birthday! Ten years ago Alex was given to me from my mom as an early birthday present. He was an adorable little ball of fluff with paws almost as big as his head. Little did I know what an impact he would have on my life. He has truly been an amazing dog and best friend.




When he was a puppy, I would rush home from high school to take him to the park to swim in lakes and chase geese. As time passed it was time for me to leave for college.....I had to leave Alex at home with mom. I would look forward to holidays where my landlord would let me bring him to stay with me while my roommates were away. He would then quickly adapt from living outside to living indoors. I would crack up as he would snore and let out little quiet barks as he dreamed.




When David and I got married and moved into our town home, I was so thrilled to have him move back in with me. I was anxious to see how he would adapt to living with a 7 pound cat who had never seen a dog before. Moli was apprehensive about this large creature in her kingdom. Alex did great....he just needed to get a few sniffs in and he was golden....a gentile giant. Moli and Alex are now best friends! They play together and chase each other....yes our tiny cat hold her own against Alex. My favorite thing is to see them rub faces....it is kinda like a hug or kiss between them! I really should try to get it on video...it is too cute!




When we brought Ethan home from the hospital, we were a little anxious to see how Alex and Moli would react. It were as if Alex had already met Ethan and wasn't shocked to have him home. They both just needed one good sniff of Ethan and that was their hello. The first night home every time my feet hit the floor to go wake Ethan up for a feeding, or attend to his cry Alex was up and at attention! By night two, he decided he was too old for this and would just open his eyes to watch me! Now, he just snoozes and hopes his ears doesn't get stepped on! If Ethan starts crying and I'm not moving his direction... Alex gets stands and waits to me to go to him.




Happy Birthday to my loyal Alex! I wish you many more days of swimming, chasing tennis balls, snoozing, and eating your doggie ice cream! We love you!





1 comments:

Mum aka Nana said...

Happy Belated 10th Birthday Alex. You are my favorite grand-dog in the whole wide world. Hugs and Kisses